Re: Gnome Video Player - WAS:Re: A baggage-free approach to gnome-media

> 2. Use gst-player as a base, integrate it with the desktop, maybe port
> it to mm. - Donno about this one, it already has the nautilus view, but
> it's maintainers dont want to complicate it or use monkeymedia, os
> personally if totem could be used I would leave gst-player out(sorry ppl
> working on it)

Ok, lets get this straight. Gst-player is based on gstreamer.
Monkey-media is based on gstreamer. The lib I have referred to as
libgstplay is a *tiny* wrapper lib (currently packaged within
gst-player) which hides the underlying gstreamer pipeline while
presenting a nice simple api for media playback.

I find it bizarre that people are insisting that all Gnome media apps
should use monkey-media because that throws away all the power and
flexibility that GStreamer provides in the first place. If someone
writes a GStreamer based video player that meets all of gnome's needs it
doesn't matter one bit if monkey-media is sitting in the middle or not.

At the same time, if monkey-media meets someone's needs then they should
use it to write their app.  As long as global config options are adhered
to it shouldn't matter what helper libs the app is built with.

I have no problem "complicating" gst-player if it adds a feature that a
gnome player really needs.

Now that I've let off that steam I can say that there will be a basic
playlist added to gst-player, but it will not be visible in the nautilus
view since the view should only ever be invoked on single files.

cheers