Gnome Video Player - WAS:Re: A baggage-free approach to gnome-media

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 03:35, Olivier Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 18:11, Mark Finlay wrote:
> > I'm not going to give my answer to that question yet, i just wanna get
> > the ball rolling ;)
>
> Ok, let's kick that ball, my needs are:
>
> * A fast universal viewer (audiocd, video, dvd, audio, whatever)
> -> question is gst-player or totem?

> * A cool app for managing my music, of course... tadaaa Rhythmbox

Yeah CO[rhythmbox rocks]UGH

I was thinking about this today after someone mentioned the 1 app v's
many apps for media question. For me there is a clear divide between
video and audio. Apps that try to do both tend to do both badly.

What I think would be best for gnome multimedia is two
gimp/galeon/evolution style EXCELLENT apps: a music library app and a
video/dvd player app. For audio we already have rhythmbox and I am more
than confident that it will fullfill all our needs.

As for video, as you say Olivier, we have gst-player and totem - and ATM
neither of them are ready to be the Gnome video player IMHO. Gst-player
is very simple and will not benefit from any improvements/system wide
setting from monkey media. Totem is a nice app - but i have never in my
life been able to get xine to play a dvd for me and i still cant, so i
cant try totem out ;)

So the way i see it, there are three options to create "the gnome video"
player:

1. Port totem to gstreamer (or mm if possible) - If this could be done
well then I would put my full support behind it as the "Gnome Video
Player", if it "Just worked" the way gstreamer tends to. Could someone
maybe give us an idea of the work involved in this and a timeframe?

2. Use gst-player as a base, integrate it with the desktop, maybe port
it to mm. - Donno about this one, it already has the nautilus view, but
it's maintainers dont want to complicate it or use monkeymedia, os
personally if totem could be used I would leave gst-player out(sorry ppl
working on it)

3. Write a video player for gnome based on monkeymedia - *shudder* i'm
sure there's something we can reuse ;) this is OS

I think that we should do as much as we can to avoid having two generic
gnome video players.

--

	 .--= [ MArk Finlay - finlaymATeircomDOTnet ] =--.

	  [ sisob: irc.gnome.org www.gnomedesktop.org ]
		[ MArk: www.gnomesupport.org ]