Re: A baggage-free approach to gnome-media

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 02:12, Richard Boulton wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 04:35, Olivier Martin wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 18:11, Mark Finlay wrote:
> > > I'm not going to give my answer to that question yet, i just wanna get
> > > the ball rolling ;)
> >
> > Ok, let's kick that ball, my needs are:
> >
> > * A fast universal viewer (audiocd, video, dvd, audio, whatever)
> > -> question is gst-player or totem?
> >
> > * A cool app for managing my music, of course... tadaaa Rhythmbox
>
> Personally, I don't see why these should be different: I'd like:
>
> 1: A fast universal viewer (CD, video, dvd (though I don't use dvd
> currently), mp3, ogg, mpeg videos, TV from my tuner card, audio from my
> radio card), with appropriate playlist support (multiple preset lists,
> random play, automatic semi-random selection based on my past
> behaviour).  This would be used for playing music while I work / relax,
> and for watching videos / TV.

A player with multiple playlists, smart random, etc? That's not "fast"
or "leightweight" ;)

It would mix up things like collections and playing files from the
cmdline or nautilus up as well.

I don't think you would need any advanced playlist stuff or any playlist
at all for a simple audio and movie player. (Don't tell me anyone queues
up 700 mb movies)

So, really, I think we need an app with smart random, playlists etc
(rhythmbox), and a really fast, sleek, leightweight player (gst-player
or totem).

Cheers
jorn