Re: A baggage-free approach to gnome-media

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 04:35, Olivier Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 18:11, Mark Finlay wrote:
> > I'm not going to give my answer to that question yet, i just wanna get
> > the ball rolling ;)
>
> Ok, let's kick that ball, my needs are:
>
> * A fast universal viewer (audiocd, video, dvd, audio, whatever)
> -> question is gst-player or totem?
>
> * A cool app for managing my music, of course... tadaaa Rhythmbox

Personally, I don't see why these should be different: I'd like:

1: A fast universal viewer (CD, video, dvd (though I don't use dvd
currently), mp3, ogg, mpeg videos, TV from my tuner card, audio from my
radio card), with appropriate playlist support (multiple preset lists,
random play, automatic semi-random selection based on my past
behaviour).  This would be used for playing music while I work / relax,
and for watching videos / TV.

2: A simple application for modifying audio tracks, reading and writing
to any format (wav/mp3/audio part of an mpeg, etc).

3: A non-linear video editor for editing my home movies.

4: Central configuration for all applications outputting sound, so I can
set the volume and device for all applications easily.

Currently, I use, respectively:

1: alsaplayer / gst-player / xine / motv / arts / xanim / ...
2: audacity (pretty good)
3: nothing
4: esound (which is fine)

--