Re: Cd Burning

> Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > My take on this cd burning thing is that we need a cd/dvd burning *library*,
> > not necessarily an application straight away. With a cd/dvd burning library,
> > we can do funky things in Nautilus, Rhythmbox, wherever.
>
> Hey, we need the application anyway ;)
>
> My question about the library is what dependencies can it have, this is,
> it needs to depend on libscg from cdrtools if it is going to have
> advanced features like "detect if the CD is appendable". If the library
> is only meant to be a wrapper for cdrecord and cdrdao, it can be
> installed without problems and then fail with "you need cdrdao in order
> to burn CDs".

The answer here is probably "use whatever allows you to program this thing
in the most sensible way."  Code reuse is a good thing, enjoy it.  For a
cd recording library, a dependency on a cd recording library is the right
thing to do.  Just being a front-end for a cmd-line invocation of cdrecord
is probably not such a good idea.  That's also where most cd recording
apps fail to be good - they're a slap-on front-end for cdrecord.

> > For the RB needs, a wrapper will do. What I would like to see is the
> "configure once", so that the config is shared between gnome apps and
> even between desktops. Can KDE read the gconf keys?

There's shouldn't be much to configure about a cd writing app anyway.  KDE
can read gconf keys if they run gconfd, but I wouldn't hope to convince
lots of KDE users to run gconf ;)

Thomas

If lovin' you is wrong
then I don't wanna be right