Re: gnome 2.2 and MAS

hi christian,

On 11/08, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> Jim Gettys swears the xsync extension is the road to salvation, but I
> heard both Leon from MAS and Keith Packard express some doubts about
> xsync.
>
> Guess a good solution for audio video sync on linux/unix is still some
> time away :(

that's true - but one can certainly do better than esd even with what is
available today - at least for local playback. i think artsd is a good
example which just provides a latency feedback function so application
have an idea when audio data sent to it will be played back.

what i dislike about artsd is that it is pretty hard to set up (or at
least it was last time i tried) for non-kde users as it seems to be
bound to some
corba/whatever_component_architecture_they're_currently_cusing stuff
which is not that easy to set up from scratch.

unfortunately MAS looked pretty complicated and somewhat overengineered
to me at first sight as well - but of course i'm probably wrong.

cheers,

   guenter

--
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.