Re: Sound Capplet and Themes

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 03:22:17PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> So I've discovered that someone's working on a GUT interface for Gnome
> (Grand Unified... Themes!). It's plug-in based, and will be able to handle
> Sawfish, GTK+, XMMS, whatever.
>
>   ObScreenshot: http://www.ionet.net/~hestgray/tigert-metathemes.png
>

> Very interesting. I'll be helping with UI issues as soon as it's stabilised.
> So, it hasn't been released yet (even as an alpha), but I thought it would be
> food for thought because... we don't have support for sound themes in Gnome
> yet. :)
>
>   http://www.labs.redhat.com/gug/users-guide/multimedia-intro.html
>

> It would be cool to plan it here, and either develop it ourselves, or find
> some developers interested in implementing it. Planning it for future
> changes is probably the most interesting thing for us, given some of the
> rather wacky, outlandish and brillant ideas that have already come up. :)

This sounds like a great idea. I'd like to see the ability to install whole
sound themes, and be able to use 1 or more sounds from other sound themes. (Mix
and match) Should sound themes be installable in the user's home directory? I'm
not sure of the issues with this. I also think that the files of sound themes
should be named ThemeName_event.wav or some other naming convention.

I read a article on linuxtoday the other week about multimedia in KDE, they are
using something called arts, that is not dependant on QT and meant to be used
by GNOME and KDE. But it said that GNOME wasn't interested in it. What's the
difference between arts and esd? And what are the future plans of esd?

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.