Re: [gnome-love] Implementing idea for GSoC 2013 - Transfers App

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply.

Regarding the RPC API, I made a rough timeline (available in my proposal) and like you said that I couldn't fit the RPC API part. So, I focused primarily on Nautilus and Epiphany integration and moved RPC to post-GSoC work.

Now about the major point of transfer of state/cookies to libtransfers. I don't think it would be a problem with Nautilus integration but it will be a major component of Epiphany integration. So before I update my proposal with how it will be implemented, I wish to discuss it more.

From epiphany source, here's what I could figure out so far. (w.r.t downloads, also pardon me if my understanding is flawed).
--- ephy-download.c/h ----
The basic object for download is EphyDownload.
ephy_download_start() is the function call to download. It checks the download object, sets start time and destination and calls the webkit_download_start() function on the WebkitDownload object associated with the EphyDownload object.

---- Webkit2 API ----
WebkitDownload object handles the download in Webkit2. Using webkit_download_get_web_view() the WebkitWebView object that started the download can be obtained whose WebkitContext can be obtained fromwebkit_web_view_get_context(). This object can be used to retrieve the WebkitCookieManager corresponding to this context.
Now here, I get stuck as I am not able to find a way to retrieve cookies corresponding to this download. If it can be retrieved, it can be passed in an organised manner to the transfers daemon.

Any suggestions/help?

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeeshanak gnome org> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
<zeeshanak gnome org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM, M.S. Suraj <mssurajkaiga gmail com> wrote:
>> I hadn't gone throught TaskView before (probably missed the link), but after
>> going through its API, can't most of the objectives of Transfers like file
>> transfers, downloads be obtained by using TaskView's integration patches in
>> desired applications?
>
> I had missed TaskView completely as well. Seem there is certainly
> stuff from there that could be re-used in this project. Having said
> that, you need to look at the D-Bus API to be sure.

I saw your proposal and one issue that I see is that you have not even
mentioned the issue we discussed here and is on the wikipage. If could
you please update your proposal, taking into account this whole
discussion and describe how you'll handle transfer of state/cookies
from app (especially browser) to the service, that would be nice.

Also, are you really sure about RPC API? That sounds cool but is that
actually desired? I think it'll take a lot of time to get rest of the
things implemented in time and integrate Transfers with existing apps.
I seriously doubt you'll have time to add extra stuff like this one.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124