Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 03:38:27 +0530
From: mssurajkaiga gmail com
To: gnome-soc-list gnome org; gnome-love gnome org
Subject: [gnome-love] Implementing idea for GSoC 2013 - Transfers App

Hi,
I'm Suraj, an open-source enthusiast from India. I would like to discuss about implementing the Transfers application idea for GNOME as part of GSoC 2013.

Generally, many GNOME users use download managers like kget for file downloads. as currently GNOME lacks a fully featured download manager. >From the project listings, I found two download managers GGet (created as part of GSoC 2008) and Gwget ( which is a GTK2 front-end for GNU wget). Both the projects are outdated and also lack in many important features.

Also, I don't think it would be feasible to implement the complete proposed features of Transfers application by one student as part of GSoC, so I would like to focus on working on the following after the design is finalized :
1. Implementing a basic framework of the project ie, basically kick-starting the project.
2. Adding support for independent file downloads/uploads

- By this I mean adding the functionality of "downloading files from a web location" to the Transfers app. One of the ways to do this would be to use GNU wget as the back-end and build a GNOME3 based GUI around it. Another way would be to write the complete back-end itself (and I would prefer this as this could give the developer more control over the features to be implemented).
- Support for browser monitoring and automatically fetching simple file download requests from installed browsers.

3. After completing the above, I would like to implement the notification service using dbus. This would include adding notification for current and finished file transfers.

I have covered an important portion of Transfers and would like to discuss on the detailed implementation ideas and timeline.

--
With regards,

M S Suraj