Re: [gnome-love] Enhancement of the gnome-search-tool

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 13.01.2010, 13:36 -0800 schrieb Christian Sasso:
> From
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/who-should-read.html.en>
> - "It will provide an overview how you can use" -> "It will provide an
> overview OF how you can use"

I don't know. Are you a native english speaker?

My gut feeling is that "of" is really required in this context, but my guts are Italian. I have lived in California since Jan 2001, but that doesn't mean I know English any better than most people on this list. I noticed that in the same page we have both "Overview of the GNOME Platform" and "overview how you can use", hinting that either one may not be correct. If you go to <http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/excelformulas/Excel_Formulas_How_to_Create_Excel_Formulas.htm> you'll find the string "an overview of how you can use" that I found with Google. If you Google a little more, you'll find more uses of "overview" followed by "of" that seem similar to the case we are discussing here.

> From
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/platform-core.html.en>
> - One has to click the "Section 3.2 ― Virtual File System" link to
> know that GVFS is deprecated.

GVFS is not deprecated, hence nothing to fix here.

You are right. This link has clarified my confusion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GnomeVFS: I assumed GVFS is short for GnomeVFS. It would be nice if the documentation were more explicit in disambiguating such potential source of confusion. What do you think?

Please file a report at
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gnome-devel-docs&component=platform-overview

Sure, let me try to figure out how this works, and if I have any problem I'll come back asking here :-)

> From
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/platform-ipc.html.en>
> - it doesn't mention that today D-BUS is considered a better choice
> than the Bonobo/CORBA duo

That was fixed by
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-devel-docs/diff/platform-overview/C/ipc-network.xml?id=05fcaf83dcf0d1d1919a1299ac75f93b5f1f87ab

Very good. Is this already in production? Clicking on <http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/platform-ipc.html.en> I cannot yet grep any use of the prefix pattern "deprecat".

> - I should be mentioned that Bonobo/CORBA still have a niche not
> covered by D-BUS, and explained what that is

What is that niche exactly?

Module linking and embedding, similarly to OLE in the Windows world?

Yes, this is mentioned:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-devel-docs/diff/platform-overview/C/desktop-tech.xml?id=05fcaf83dcf0d1d1919a1299ac75f93b5f1f87ab

 Very good.

> From
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/keyring.html.en>
> - there are no deeper links explaining the technology to developers
> (API reference, tutorials etc)

Thanks. I've just fixed this by linking to gnome-keyring and libseahorse
API references:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-devel-docs/commit/?id=1bb89a5aa4d792cb2224ffe636392cc59399a729

Very good.

> From
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/control-center.html.en>
> - again, there are no deeper links explaining the technology to
> developers (API reference, tutorials etc)
>
> From
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/window-manager.html.en>
> - same as above: no links to tutorials

Feel free to file reports in bugzilla.gnome.org - Proposals appreciated.

I can try, but this is my very first attempt at improving the documentation, so it may take some time. Others more knowledgeable than I should feel free to jump in if they wish to quickly straighten things up.

> From
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/other-bindings.html.en>
> - link <the GTK+ bindings page> is broken

Thanks, I've just fixed this in
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-devel-docs/commit/?id=9efaa5485d72aa98022903a6b1f748f611ae335b

Very good.

Thank you Andre for your feedback, chris