Re: [gnome-love] Projects using GObject

Merci Fred,

I'll publish a link to the first public draft of the document as soon as possible. I don't think the english translation should be too time consuming
and I'll undertake it as soon first draft of the french version is released.

Best regards

Thierry

Fred Morcos a écrit :
Salut Thierry,

I can 'help' translating your document from French to English, I have very good knowledge about French but unfortunately not much about computer terms (in French of course). So I can start translating the document in general and you can later fix the parts where I mess up (if it would be easier for you than working on the whole thing alone).

Anyways, contact me if you're interested or if you need some human power =)

On 5/9/07, *Thierry Chappuis* < info mujigka ch <mailto:info mujigka ch>> wrote:

    Hi,

    Sriram Ramkrishna a écrit :
    > Is this for a university (state or private?)  Would you be willing
    > to make your course materials freely available for others under
    > creative commons?
    >
    > The reason I ask is that this kind of thing is perfect to present to
    > other schools, "ready-made" course materials where people can learn
    > how to program GUI's using GNOME.  I've long thought about how to
    > do this.  I know the the assistant dean of my alma mater who said
    > he wouldn't mind looking at course material if we came up with it.
    > I haven't been able to find people willing to write course material.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > sri

    This course is planned to be freely available. Unfortunately, it is
    currently written in french since documentation about GObject and
    GLib
    is cruelly missing in this language. Depending on time available,
    I plan
    to  translate it in english, but I cannot promise.

    This article mainly focuses on the object model implemented by the
    GObject framework and its interactions with the GType system. I
    try to
    make it more general than another course on GUIs programming using
    GNOME. I'd like to decouple as much as possible GObject and its use in
    GTK+ architecture, or in GUI-based applications. Hence, the main
    idea is
    to document in a rather comprehensive way all aspects of OO
    programming
    using the GLib's Object System without focusing on graphical examples.
    Mathieu Lacage's tutorial, available as part of GObject
    documentation,
    is a good start in this direction.

    Sincerely yours

    Thierry

    > On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 11:12:06AM +0200, Thierry Chappuis wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm currently writing a course discussing object-oriented
    programming in
    >> C using the GObject system. That is quite easy to find plenty of
    >> GUI-based examples using this library. However, I'm looking for
    some
    >> non-GUI-based projects using the GObject framework in order to
    provide
    >> readers with a representative overview of its use in real-world
    programs.

    >> I would be highly interested in getting some ideas and/or project
    >> examples on this subject. Thank you by advance.
    >>
    >> Best wishes
    >>
    >> Thierry

Fred Morcos
http://fredmorcos.blogspot.com