Re: [gnome-love] Where to make a policy suggestion?

On 3/16/06, Simon Francis <thejello gmail com> wrote:
How about this as a simple and easy solution? Simply require any application
to echo what its doing to stdout. That way when (and only when) a user
launches an application from the command line it will display what it is
doing. This will mean that no new windows will need to be created, and this
won't bother basic users because they will never launch an application
through the terminal.

It would definately be a quick easy solution.  But I don't see how
having some text in the status bar would bother basic users.  I know
that my wife for one (who is far from a power user) rarely notices the
information in the status bar anyway.

I'm envisioning the best way of implimenting it as a function that
takes the command as argument, displays the command called in the
status bar (or other are defined by the developer), making the call
and returning the appropriate value.  Requires the addition of one
function and then wrapping the cli function calls with that function.
I suppose its possible it would be even easier than that.

--Dave