Re: [gnome-love] Where to make a policy suggestion?

On 3/16/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

--- David Berg <drberg1000 gmail com> wrote:
Repeat steps 1-3 if you aren't looking for copies of
the same disk.

But isn't putting a list of filenames into the
terminal a real pain?
(Especially since dragging files to it has a bug)

Yes.  But how often, if ever, do you burn a set of "random" files that
are scattered all over the disk?  Usually you're backing up an entire
directory (simple to get listing), files newer than a certain date in
an incremental backup (use find), or a list of files in a full backup.
 The last one is really the only backup that would burn a list of
files with various exclusions.  In this case one generally saves the
list to be backed up and ignored so that it is only entered once then
modified.  How does one do that with gnomebaker?  I don't see any
options.

The idea behind that being that you can have a
different environment
when logging in different ways.  I can't give an
example of when its
useful because I don't have one for bash.  I do for
X though.  If I'm
logging in locally I want to run gnome because I
don't need to worry
about network lag.  However, If I'm logging in over
the network

Whoa stop right there... you can log in over the
network??? I wouldn't even know the purpose of that,
and I doubt more than 1% of users would either.

Sure can.  Thats one of the things I like about linux.  It is very
easy to access my desktop from anywhere I can get an internet
connection.  If I cared to, I could have the full desktop environment.
 Why would I want to?  I usually don't because my laptop is just as
powerful as my older desktop so usually I only want the data and get
it over sftp.  If I had a cheaper laptop that couldn't compile or
manipulate any photos, I would.

And that is one of our major problems. We're not
on
the same level as the users we are hoping to reach
with GNOME.

I agree.  The solution isn't in hiding how things
work though.  We'd
get a lot farther by finding developers who
understand (or at least
willing to listen to) the users who simply want to
spend as little
time at the computer as possible.  Then sticking
those developers with
the not so desirable job of working between the
developers and these
users as a type of translator.

Introducing... the GNOME usability project :)

In my opinion it would be ultimate if one had an
incredible memory for
options.  But alas, I don't have my uncle's
photographic memory, so
I'll have to continue reading man pages repeatedly
until the GUIs are
up to par.

Exactly. Reading man pages is not my idea of fun.
Whereas one can figure out a GUI quite quickly. And
the documentation for GUIs is usually a lot better
than man pages. (At least I hope so -- I'm blowing my
own trumpet here, as I'm on the docs team :)

Man pages are a totally different type of documentation than the gui
documentation.  Their aim is to document EVERYTHING the program can do
and exactly how it does it.  Explaining how to accomplish a particular
task is left to other documents (howtos or tutorials).  Compare your
gui docs to a tutorial and you may not notice as much difference.
Keep in mind that tutorials for the command line are written with the
so called "l33t" in mind.

And perhaps this is the real difference between
hardcore command line users and the rest of us. The
former see the computer as a toy: learning how it
works is fun. I see the computer as a tool: it sits
between me and what I want to do, and it should be as
unobtrusive as possible.

You have the same difference with just about every thing in life.  We
have car drivers, and auto engineers and everything in between.  But
each group is dependant on the others.  The drivers would still be
toting a cart behind a buggy (using a typwriter or printing press) if
the engineers didn't enjoy designing high performance engines, playing
with various gears and tranny designs etc.  And the engineers wouldn't
beable to take it beyond a hobby if there weren't millions (billions)
of people wanting to spend 3 to 300K dollars on a car/heavy equipment
etc (cell phone, desktop, server, supercomputer).

The difference I see with the computer analogy is that with the
internet, it is easy for all of the programmers and engineers to get
together and build an OS with out needing millions of users to support
it.

I've rambled on far too long.  The command line is great.  So are
GUIs.  They both have their place.

--Dave