Re: [gnome-love] About Me - Change Password dialog suggestions

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 18:46 +0100, Claudio Saavedra wrote:
Hi Johannes,

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 17:47 +0100, Johannes H. Jensen wrote:
(snip)
The Change Password dialog in About Me is, in my opinion,
unsatisfactory.

Any mail that starts saying something like that, will be probably
ignored, because it sounds too agressive.

Oh, I'm very sorry. That was by no means my intention! I'm glad you
pointed this out for me, as I was not aware. All I wanted was to start a
discussion about how to improve the dialog :)

I would suggest you:

- For each of the independient problems you see in the software, open an
  independient bug in bugzilla (http://bugzilla.gnome.org). Of
  course, before doing so, check if exists discussion about them, and
  join them (browsing mailing lists would help, too).

OK, I will do that. I just thought that discussion like this was more
suited on the mailing-lists, rather than the bugzilla.

- Try to avoid to say that existent software *is bad, ugly, or it
  makes your little sister scream*, but to directly say
  what could be improved, why, and how. Mockups and/or patches would
  improve the probability of your opinion to be considered.

Yes, I agree that my choice of words sound a bit aggressive. I did,
however, write directly what I thought could be improved an why...

- If you want to provide mockups, don't do it in .glade format, but
  screenshots. Only provide the .glade files if you have a patch that
  will actually need them.

OK, screenshots available at
http://joh.deworks.net/password-dialog/screenshots/

I hope you will find my suggestions useful and will find a more suitable
way to start your contributions to GNOME. Remember, everyone's help is
welcome, but being polite and doing it the right way is very important.

I do, thank you :)
--
Johannes H. Jensen <joh deworks net>
deworks