[gnome-love] About Me - Change Password dialog suggestions

Hello,

I initially sent this mail to desktop-devel, but got no replies at all.
Thus I am sending it to gnome-love, hoping someone will be interested in my work here :)

The Change Password dialog in About Me is, in my opinion,
unsatisfactory.

Problems:
--------------------
Interface:
The interface is (no offense) ugly and inconsistent.
- How does a light bulb indicate authentication success/failure and
valid input?
- The explanatory text is changing to reflect any changes or errors in
the process, but it is difficult to notice it changing.

Process:
The process is done in one large chunk (I think this has to do with
using the passwd program as the back end) instead of the more logical
separation of authentication and then updating the password.

Back end:
Using the passwd program as the back end might be problematic, as it
limits us when it comes to different authentication mechanisms (?).

Suggestions:
--------------------
Interface:
I've fiddled around with Glade and come up with a draft to a more
logical dialog. It can be found at
http://joh.deworks.net/password-dialog/interface

When opening the dialog, the new password section should be insensitive.
Typing your current password in the "Password" entry and clicking on the
"Authenticate" button makes the new password section sensitive (assuming
the authentication went successful.) Further more, the lock icon should
change to reflect a successful authentication.

There should also be an inactivity timeout after authenticating the user
in case the dialog is left open, for security reasons.

I'm unsure where to put any status messages so they are visible to the
user. Any ideas on this?

Back end:
Maybe using PAM is better than using passwd, or is this a problem for
not-PAM-enabled systems? An idea could be to make the dialog
authentication independent (as PAM is designed for), but this would
require a lot more work!

Anyways, suggestions are more than welcome! If I get the green light on this, I
can start working on it as my first contribution to Gnome :)
--
Johannes H. Jensen <joh deworks net>
deworks