Re: [gnome-love] Best way to run Development/CVS Gnome?

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 06:48:22PM +0200, Christian Kirbach wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:13:21 +0200, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
The first time I did
so (well, also when I used garnome before I switched to jhbuild), I
created a separate user and logged in as them when using the
development version of Gnome.  But problems were rare enough that I
stopped doing that and I no longer use a separate account; I just do
Personally I strongly recommend a seperate user account for the
cvs/unstable GNOME if you do not want to jeopardise your user account
data (document  etc). I really wouldn't want to lose the current state
of my diploma thesis.

I use a separate account not for the user data, but being able to
rm -rf ~/.gnome* ~/.gconf*. Much nicer to test stuff when it is a
different account. Drawback is that I don't like having my ssh private
key on that account. Currently I use a hack that doesn't make sense
(ssh agent forwarding).

[..]
Do a lot of developers run the development version of distros (Rawhide,
Breezy, etc.)?

I use Mandriva Cooker and the packages from
http://gpwgnome.osknowledge.org/ for GNOME 2.11 stuff. I mainly use
jhbuild to get a good stacktrace / test a patch.

--
Regards,
Olav