Re: [gnome-love] newbie looking to get involved

On 12/25/05, Nickolay V. Shmyrev <nshmyrev yandex ru> wrote:
В Вск, 25/12/2005 в 13:54 +0100, Arjen Stolk пишет:
On 12/25/05, Nickolay V. Shmyrev <nshmyrev yandex ru> wrote:
*snip
Well, this is very interesting and opportune project - getting rid of
esd. It should be relatively easy do do this. I've added some comments
on http://live.gnome.org/GStreamer_2fesd about usage of
notification-daemon to play sounds

Sounds like an interesting project. Let me just check that I
understand it correctly.
libgnome is still using the old esound library for some sound related
tasks. The proposed change is to make it use GStreamer instead (like
the rest of gnome.) One problem is that esound offers a caching
facility that GStreamer at present does not provide, for which a
replacement will have to be provided.

You are right here. Some notes: gstreamer is only a playing library,
it's not supposed to provide a daemon. On the other side, to implement
caching and notification, we need a daemon certainly. The most important
thing is that nobody like to add just another daemon. That is why I
suggest reuse existing one (notification-daemon) and implement sound
events there. Moreover if it's designed to handle desktop events.

That makes sense. Adding a new daemon is not a desirable solution, and
sound events do conceptually fit into the tasks the notification
daemon takes care of.

But this is very major task, it's better to discuss it on desktop-devel first.

Indeed. However, before we move this party to the desktop-devel list,
I still need to get my system into a state where I can actually work
on this. I suspect I'll have to get the CVS sources and work from
those. Of course, for testing purposes, it is highly desirable I can
actually build the code I'm working on. Am I correct in concluding
that I'll need to get and build the CVS sources? Also, are there any
known issues in doing this?

Well, yes, you have too build from CVS. Some links located here:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove

I suppose you need jhbuild to make this process easier. The modules you need
to look at this particular problem are:

libgnome  (sound api)
esound  (esd)
gnome-games (actively uses gnome_triggers to produce sounds)
gstreamer (replacement for sound playing)
libnotify

Well, that proved to be less painful than I expected. Not everything
worked (notable exceptions include mozilla and nautilus), but I have a
CVS build now in which all the relevant parts mentioned above work.

So here's what I will do. I'll take some time to study the relevant
code and docs and maybe tinker on the CVS build to get some more
things working. When I work out what can be done and what I think is a
good idea, I'll raise the topic on desktop-devel and we'll see what
comes out of the discussion there.

Last but not least, Nickolay, thanks for your help.