Re: [gnome-love] newbie looking to get involved

В Птн, 23/12/2005 в 14:52 +0100, Arjen Stolk пишет:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to GNOME programming, but eager to get involved. I have an
idea for something to do (see below), but I'm looking for the right
place to get some help when I get stuck.

You are welcome Arjen, you can ask about your problems here or at
gnome-devel list, irc is also helpful sometimes.

The idea is o make a program to capture 'mouse gestures', i.e., if the
user moves the mouse in a particular way, some action is performed,
say, running an application, minimizing a window or switching to
another desktop. There is another project out there doing something
similar, but it's KDE based, still in the alpha stage and lacks a lot
of configuration/features. I'm thinking the way to go with this
program is to make a panel applet, as it doesn't really need a window
of its own while running, just for configuration.

Well, gtk code for detection of gestures can be taken from epiphany
gestures extension, from galeon, gpdf or gdm. The problem is where to
place it. Btw, there is a similar and quite advanced program called
"xstroke". It's probably ok to make it separate application.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/xstroke/

Anyway, does it sound like something people would want? Also, does it
sound do-able? I have a fair amount of experience with programming
C/C++, including some GUI programming, but, as I said, don't know much
about GNOME programming.

That is the main point here. Definitely, it's not a high priority
problem and since nobody was actively requesting it as bugzilla shows, I
am not sure if it will be accepted at all. But of course it would be
nice to have such thing, moreover if you'd like to do it. If you'd like
to search for something else, just ask.

Best regards,

Arjen