Re: [gnome-love] Which Linux distribution - Thanks

Thanks. I think I just needed for someone to tell me I wasn't doing the wrong thing. Now I'm happy that I got that gnome-lov. :-)

Daniel

Andreas Rottmann wrote:
Daniel Cardenas <Daniel Carden cox net> writes:

Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

If you want to contribute, then you will probably end up testing unstable
GNOME code with tools such as jhbuild and garnome. That works quite well,
but it is not always easy, so it might be a good idea to start with a distro
that is often used by other contributors, so that they can easily help you.
I think that most people use RedHat/Fedora or Debian, though that's a
simplification.

I'm wondering if you can point me in the right direction.  I'm trying
debian unstable and getting Anjuta (IDE=integrated development
environment) to work hasn't been easy.  If I try to install it with
synaptic package manager, it wants to uninstall most of gnome.  Would
I have better luck with Fedora?

I managed to get it installed using apt-get.  But I'm wondering if my
system is now very unstable.

Why would it be? If it worked without fuzz with apt-get, this looks
like a synaptic bug. Many people use only (or mostly) apt-get for
installing packages.

Regards, Andy