Re: [gnome-love] CASE tools for GNOME?

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, pclouds wrote:

I'm sorry. CASE stands for Computer-Aid Software Engineering

I had a fair idea what you meant even if I cant always remember what
acronyms mean.

PS. UML = Unified Modeling Language

I know a bit about UML but I am on a mission to discourage people from
using unneccessary acronyms and jargon as they tend to exclude people.
Better questions also result in better answers.

How stringent are your requirements?

I used Rational Rose for study in university. I wondered if there
was an alternative for Linux. I searched around and found
umbrello. But i like a gnome/gtk app rather :)

How about Dia?
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia/

Dia can be used to draw UML diagrams. But that's not enough. In
Rational Rose, when i change a sequence diagram, the corresponding
collaboration diagram is updated. In short, there are relations
between diagrams. I don't know if Dia have this feature.

Not currently but the developers are very receptive to patches and
enhancements.  Every so often suggestions are made about adding support
for XLink but no one has done it yet.

Two other feature is code generation and report. dia2code can generate
code from Dia diagram. Making report from Dia diagrams is missing.

You should ask the author of Dia 2 Code, he might take your suggestion on
board, generating a report cant be as difficult as adding support for a
full programming language. No harm in asking.

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/