Re: [gnome-love] Hi, which way ?

Hi,

Aschwin van der Woude wrote:
[skipped]
Testing is done by the users themselves. Some of those users are
developers, and might even help solving problems with the software.
If you are interested in this model, you could start reading the books
by Eric Raymond like 'Cathedral and the bazaar'.
I've read C&B, Homesteading the Noosphere and such. "Given enough eyeball all bugs are shallow" means that OSS is good as opposed to closed sources, but not that you should pass all bugs to the users =) It's known saying that bugs found by developer is of $1, by QA - $10 and by user - $100. While in OSS this mostly means 1hr, 10hr and 100hr [to gain good quality] respectively, there's more important argument, namely cost [read - time] of applying changes and fixes. You can read more in any TDD book, and TDD by example draft is available on the 'Net, afair.

The reason why i dared to flame here (my pardons, again =) is that there're often cases when some part of gnome becomes broken and you can't easily say why. Debugging unknown project with 4M sources is quite... annoying, then, i can break something with fix and another person will sit over there with debugger, so on. Automated unit testing, like "make test" in good perlish modules should really save a day or two.

If you are interested in doing some testing, you are more than welcome
to do so. Testing with tools like Valgrind will probably find some more
problems in the various parts of Gnome.
Huh =( I'm currently adding valgrind plugin to anjuta2 and... still afraid of breaking something. There's enormous amout of functional tests to be done by hands =(

Anyway, sorry for spamming.

Artiom