Re: [gnome-love] Re: Re: anyone wanna help with gnome-backgrounds

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 03:43:34PM +0200, sisob-lists tuxfamily org wrote:

Sure, I can help out a bit. I can do some work on the packaging bit, and
I could also give some input on which backgrounds to include. I could
even have a look at the background chooser, but I don't have alot of
experience using gtk and C (I've mostly been using Python), so the code
probably won't be good enough for inclusion.

Throwing in my $0.02 and offer to help...

Well i've just had a quick look at a.g.o and saw these nice ones:
Gnome branded:
http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/gnome/163.php
http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/gnome/200.php

I like these.  The gnome part is subtle and the bg isn't overly
obnoxious.

Penguin related:
http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/other/92.php
http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/other/93.php
http://art.gnome.org/backgrounds/other/147.php

These seem a bit.... not sure how to describe it... not gnomey.  Penguin
is good, and maybe include one or two, but I like the idea of not hugely
distracting and/or photgraphs, manipulated a bit if needed (ie: the
flower shot thrown out in this thread).

I have a bunch of digital photographs online that I'd be happy to
contribute, though not all would be appropriate.  I doubt anyone wants
to see my ugly mug on their desktop!  However, I do have some random
clouds, flowers, sunets and sunrises and that sort of thing that might
work well.  I'm sure that there are other people out there with photo
galleries online that wouldn't mind licensing their digital photos out
for inclusion.  I know garrett over at linuxart.com has some good stuff
that I've seen used.

Maybe a photo contest?  Send people out with their digicams to take pics
of stuff to be used as backgrounds, let 'em upload and let the public
vote on what is "right"?  I'm sure there'd be snags, but it's a thought.

alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain