Re: [gnome-love] Can't find header files

Thanks for your help Gustavo.
I did check the webpage suggested and tried to run the 'auto-apt....',  but for
some reason I get a message saying that the command was not found. I tried
installing it using 'apt-get' but it couldn't find it either.
Can you tell me where/how do I get this program?

TIA
Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:

Hello friend,

You probably want to know how to use auto-apt:

5.3 How to install packages "on demand"

You're compiling a program and, all of a sudden, boom! There's an error because
it needs a .h file you don't have. The program auto-apt can save you from such
scenarios. It asks you to install packages if they're needed, stopping the
relevant process and continuing once the package is installed.

What you do, basically, is run:

     auto-apt run command

Where `command' is the command to be executed that may need some unavailable
file. For example:

     auto-apt run ./configure

It will then ask to install the needed packages and call apt-get automatically.
If you're running X, a graphical interface will replace the default text
interface.

Auto-apt keeps databases which need to be kept up-to-date in order for it to be
effective. This is achieved by calling the commands auto-apt update, auto-apt
updatedb and auto-apt update-local.

You may want to check out http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto (the
manual from which I got the above tip). Or apt-get install apt-howto.

[]s!

--
kov debian org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org> * <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>

   Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

--
The difference between a GRINGO and an AMERICAN is that the
AMERICAN believes that the name of his country is the name