[gnome-love] how to compile gnome-hello cvs on sid

Hello..

Two and a half years ago i started using gnome. Now i would like to
improve my programing skills. I started with GWBasic, Pascal, Assembler,
Java and a little C and C++.
I already wrote little GTK+ and GNOME apps but i never finished them.
Now with the new GNOME 2 architecture i see my chance and i want to try
it again but i need your help.
The first thing is how to set up a build environment. I changed my
system from SuSE to debian sid (the best thing i ever did). The question
is now, which packages i have to install, so that i can compile at least
gnome-hello from cvs head?? I want to use *debs because i really like
the debian apt-get update; apt-get upgrade system.

A second question. Where do i find small and easy jobs to jump into the
development? I know there is bugzilla.gnome.org but is there a special
trick to find such jobs?

Thank you for your help

Yves