Re: [gnome-love] from omniorb to orbit

There is some information on the GNOME component system here:

http://developer.gnome.org/arch/component/

along with some links.

There is also a white paper on CORBA use in GNOME here:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/whitepapers/

I hope this helps.

Dan

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Matthew Walton wrote:

Is there by any chance a wonderful document somewhere that tells me
exactly what CORBA, ORBit, Bonobo and all these fantastically
exciting-sounding things actually are and what they can do for me as an
aspiring Gnome developer? I gather that Bonobo is some kind of component
framework, and that KDE has a thing called DCOP that's a bit similar in
intention at least, but I'm not quite exactly what that means. Is it
like (and apologies for mentioning this) some kind of hyper-pumped-up
OLE? Why's it so good? What's wrong with building things the
'traditional' way?

Unfortunately my University don't do a Gnome programming module :-( They
seem more interested in Java, which I don't like very much. Oh well. Now
I have Gnome Love... :-)

Matt

Antony Suter wrote:

Please give me some weblinks on developing with ORBit, bonobo, GConf,
oaf and orbit-cpp.

Im very interested in porting some software from omniORB to the above.

Im new to gnome programming and hope to spend a lot of free time helping
out.

--
- Antony Suter  (antony mira net)  "Exner"  openpgp:7916EE67
- "...to condense fact from the vapor of nuance."