Re: [gnome-love] from omniorb to orbit

Le 24/05/01 01:34:58, Matthew Walton a écrit :
Is there by any chance a wonderful document somewhere that tells me
exactly what CORBA, ORBit, Bonobo and all these fantastically
exciting-sounding things actually are and what they can do for me as an
aspiring Gnome developer?

CORBA <http://www.omg.org> is more or less a protocol for RPCs. Servers
implement interfaces (described in IDL -- Interface Definition Language)
which clients can call methods of or get/set properties from/to.

ORBit is more or less a server implementing CORBA.

I gather that Bonobo is some kind of component framework, [...] Is it
like (and apologies for mentioning this) some kind of hyper-pumped-up
OLE?

More like COM/DCOM

Tom.