Re: [gnome-love] Games programming with GNOME and related technologies

On Aug 09 22:17, Matthew Walton wrote:
of things that provide 2D APIs suitable for gaming - SDL, ClanLib,
Crystal Space to name but three - but can I realistically use any of
these with GNOME?

You can use GTK with SDL so I think it should be able to use Gnome to
without to much hassle.

Actually, what I'd really like to do is use Crystal Space's 3D engine,
but I guess I'd have to go away from GNOME to do that properly. I'm not
keen on writing the graphics engine from scratch using GtkGLArea!

How hard would it be to make Crystal Spaze render into a GtkGLArena? I
haven't used GtkGLArena, but I imagine that it takes normal Open-GL commands so
wouldn't it just be to redirect these from Crystal Spaze.
Perhaps you should look at any mailing-list on the Crystal Space project?

So, can anyone point me at some suitable projects and/or resources for
that kind of thing? I'm thinking 2D to start with at least, but that may
change if I can stop my hardware-accelerated graphics from jerking
(you'd think a Voodoo4 would be fine, but oh no...) and if I can gather
up the enthusiasm.

You mentioned libxml earlier in your mail, and I have used for my game
called spacemaze to store the levels. I have a minimal example showing how
to use the SAX parser in libxml, if you want I could send it over to you?

--
* John Ericson john john pp se
* ICQ: 7325429 JID: high jabber org