Re: Certain font sizes can't be configured permanently

There's something you could try, but it's more of a sticking plaster or workaround than a proper fix. Create a file ~/.config/autostart/scaling.desktop containing:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor 1.6
Hidden=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Name=Fix Scaling
Comment=Set text scaling factor to 1.6

I haven't tested that, but hopefully it will work for you, or you will be able to fix it if there's something wrong. For more information, lookup "XDG autostart".

On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 at 15:49, Volker Wysk <post volker-wysk de> wrote:
Am Samstag, den 12.09.2020, 14:56 +0100 schrieb Tony Houghton:
> Do you mean that when you load gnome-tweaks, it shows the scaling
> factor to be 1.6, but the desktop does not use that setting until you
> change it, then change it back to 1.6?

Exactly.

> This implies that the setting is being saved correctly, but another
> part of GNOME is failing to honour it at start-up.

Yes, I've thought it was something like that, too.

> Fractional scaling is quite a new feature, so maybe some old integer-
> only settings have been left behind and are clashing. Try running
> these commands:
>
> gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
> gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
> gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor
>
> Based on the Arch wiki page for hidpi, I think the first two are
> obsolete integer settings and the third is for fractional scaling, so
> you want the first to show an empty list ('@a{sv} {}'), or at least
> not contain 'Gdk/WindowScalingFactor', and the second to be zero. The
> last should show 1.6.

$ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
@a{sv} {}

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
uint32 0

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor
1.6000000000000001

> If the first two are not empty/zero, I bet that's what's causing the
> problem.

Well, they are...

> You should be able to fix it with:
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
> "[]"
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 0
>
> Monitor drivers never really existed, they were just files that
> contained mode information in the "old days" before EDID etc made it
> all automatic. They were called drivers to make it simpler for
> Windows users to understand. In Linux you used to have to edit X
> config files instead. I'm quite sure they are of no relevance to your
> current issue.

Yes, it doesn't affect the whole screen. Only font sizes are
affected... This doesn't look like a "driver" issue to me, too.

> On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 16:17, Volker Wysk <post volker-wysk de>
> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a 4k monitor, which means that all the font sizes must be
> > adjusted. I'm leaving the font sizes in gnome-tweaks alone, and am
> > setting a scaling factor of 1.6 instead. This worked fine until
> > about a
> > week ago.
> >
> > But now, after I log in, the configured font sizes don't seem to be
> > in
> > effect. The fonts of the top bar, and of the icons on the desktop,
> > are
> > tiny again.
> >
> > When I change the scaling factor, in gnome-tweaks, the fonts are
> > back
> > to the configured size immediately. It's enough to increase it by
> > 0,01
> > and set it back to 1.6 again.
> >
> > But the next time I log in, it's all back to tiny fonts again.
> >
> > Is there any Gnome configuration magic, for how to set it
> > permanently?

Regards,
Volker

--