Re: Certain font sizes can't be configured permanently

Am Samstag, den 12.09.2020, 14:56 +0100 schrieb Tony Houghton:
Do you mean that when you load gnome-tweaks, it shows the scaling
factor to be 1.6, but the desktop does not use that setting until you
change it, then change it back to 1.6?

Exactly.

This implies that the setting is being saved correctly, but another
part of GNOME is failing to honour it at start-up.

Yes, I've thought it was something like that, too.

Fractional scaling is quite a new feature, so maybe some old integer-
only settings have been left behind and are clashing. Try running
these commands:

gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor

Based on the Arch wiki page for hidpi, I think the first two are
obsolete integer settings and the third is for fractional scaling, so
you want the first to show an empty list ('@a{sv} {}'), or at least
not contain 'Gdk/WindowScalingFactor', and the second to be zero. The
last should show 1.6.

$ gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
@a{sv} {}

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor
uint32 0

$ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor
1.6000000000000001

If the first two are not empty/zero, I bet that's what's causing the
problem.

Well, they are...

You should be able to fix it with:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides
"[]"
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor 0

Monitor drivers never really existed, they were just files that
contained mode information in the "old days" before EDID etc made it
all automatic. They were called drivers to make it simpler for
Windows users to understand. In Linux you used to have to edit X
config files instead. I'm quite sure they are of no relevance to your
current issue.

Yes, it doesn't affect the whole screen. Only font sizes are
affected... This doesn't look like a "driver" issue to me, too.

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 16:17, Volker Wysk <post volker-wysk de>