Re: Why are there no desktop icons with Wayland?

Hey Sébastien,

well I'm on Fedora 25 with Gnome and Wayland and switching on the
Desktop icons clutters my Desktop with icons... (whole home directory
since no Desktop directory in home)

So for Fedora it is working for Ubuntu you need to find help with
someone else because I can't reproduce that. But it seems to be a Bug
and might be due to ubuntus old version of nautilus or modifications of
nautilus.

As of the background of those decissions I think the gnome people
evaluated several usability studies and conducted their own to find that
desktop icons are mostly less productive than no desktop icons since
most people tend to have a rather full desktop. Apart from that They are
bad for perfomance since icons have to be loaded from all the different
files...

The replacement is the search bar in the activities menu. Just type the
first few letters of your file and you will have it no matter where it
is located in the home directory.

all the best
Franz

PS: I'm not a developer just a user of the gnome software so only
personal opinions expressed here.