Firefox won't launch from gnome-shell

Having a few systems that won't launch firefox from gnome-shell's menus.  Launching firefox from a gnome-terminal works just fine though.

Is there some conflict between the latest firefox and gnome-shell that could be causing this?  I'm seeing it on SciLinux 7.2 and firefox 46.0.1.  Tried to move the user's .mozilla directory out of the way and that caused an import dialog to show up, she chose to not import anything and firefox still died before ever actually showing up.

I watched the process list at one point, and saw a firefox process running shortly after hitting the menu button, then a second firefox process showed up and was marked defunct, then a couple seconds later they both went away.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator