Re: gnome3, yet another negative feedback

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 10:27 -0400, joncr wrote:
On 05/21/2013 07:38 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
There is a factor here that if someone doesn't want to adapt their
practices - then any new interface is going to be clumsy...
Even then, there are plenty of extensions designed to bring back the old
panel and menus approach for those who want to stay with that.

There is even a suite of extensions ["Legacy"] for exactly that purpose.

The best way to use Gnome Shell is to spend a little bit of time using
it as the designers intend.  Find out what you like and what you don't
like, then see if you can fix the "don't like" part with extensions.

Yep.
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2011/05/fortnight-with-gnome3.html>
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2012/09/recommended-gnome3-extensions.html>

I'm not a heavy keyboard user, so I install the DashToDock extension
(turns the Dash into a real configurable dock independent of the
Overview), kill the hot corner and window animations and I'm good to go.

I am a heavy keyboarder, and I use DaskToDock as well.  Great extension.

It's surprising to me that more than two years on Gnome Shell is still
subject to so much vitriol. Liking Gnome 2 and
regretting its demise is fine.  But, all things end.  Failing to accept
that, venting bile and attacking people who happen to like Gnome Shell,
all apparently based  on the presumption that the developers broke some
kind of sacred obligation, is inappropriate behavior.

Yep.

What irks me is the *accusing* developers of not listening to users,
insisting that things be discussed 'in the open', etc...  when all that
was true - the poster(s) just either wasn't around then [and it is now a
then, not a now] and/or chose not to participate.  Someone not choosing
to participate means they don't get heard.  And sometimes someone is
heard - and it still doesn't go that way [has happened to be no small
number of times].  If there is *specifically* something someone doesn't
like then we can discuss that and possible ways to improve it; but the
conspiratorial tone of much of the vitriol simply has no merit in fact.
And a large portion is very 'recycled' and complaints that have been
answered over and over again [like the gnome-shell-is-for-touch-screens
or gnome-shell-is-for-tablets thing].