gnome2 lives again...

Em Sáb, 2013-05-18 às 16:44 -0600, Marcus Rhodes escreveu:
Thank you, Sergio.

"That is why I rebuild gnome2.32 from scratch using an archlinux distribution (642 modules compilled over a 45 days, with the help of the FreeBSD ports)
and gnome2.32 is back running in kernel 3.9 with systemd.. compilled with gcc4.8.  runs very well in a US$300 lenovo g475.. I setted up even a distribution repo to work with... Several (about 120) users uses it... (it is distributed in a new samsung momentus 320Gb HD, installs in 5 minutes).
have 10Gb size.. "

You should create an installer.  You could become famous, a hero even.
Indeed there is an "installer"   just install a bare archlinux (only the base system, and xorg)
than edit the /etc/pacman.conf to put my repo before the [core] label and
comment the other repositories (extra, community....) leaving only the gnome2 and core repositories...
fire up a "pacman -Sy gnome2"  so that simple... it installs all the gnome2
with libreoffice, librecad, gimp, inkscape wicd, gnome-appets (the batt status working on the knew kernel interface too)...
there is firefox 2.20.1, youtube-dl, inkscape, libreoffice 4.0.3, librecad, kicad geda pcb, xine, vlc, avidemux2 ekiga
dvdstyler, monodevelop java runtime 7 iced-tea, dia, gthumb, fixed the gvfsd to work with udisks2, so
pendrive, dvd, iso plays nice, cheese, the camera works...  of course there are some bugs, because
the system is only a month of age... but it is 99% useable, I did not tested cups still,
the main problem is that when you install the gnome2 group it misses some modules still so thiis is the reason I distribute it on HD...
example of pacman.conf gnome2 repo

[gnome2]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = http://gnome2.k1.com.br:81/$arch

than you can customize your "old" gnome2 to fit your needs,
of course you must tell systemd to start gdm too: command===> systemctl enable gdm;systemctl start gdm
the same for wicd...
by the way gdm is the old one gdm 2.18 with the gdmsetup available an working.

"Remember that new 3D interface for unix/linux that have a cube and the user could have 6 desktops running on each side of the cube??? Who uses it??? it is fantastic but no one uses it any more just because they (the people) can do things they want using the old interface."

Excellent point!  I would add, who uses it for anything truly practical?  I've had a lot of people try to convince me that they really use the cube, but I've never seen any benefit to it even when they use it.
Thank you... One thing that comes with age is patience time to think if a thing is good or bad not just new or old
new is not equal good.