Well said...

Em Sex, 2013-05-17 às 19:14 -0600, Marcus Rhodes escreveu:
Well, I've had about enough.

Who is Adam Tauno Williams, and for whom does he speak?  Not me.  And clearly not most of you,
not me either
as the looming failures of Metro, Unity, and Gnome3 (not to mention KDE's equally useless and counter-productive 'modernity') all demonstrate.
Indeed I stopped to work with kde (not qt) because of these...  Skilled people (people with skill  on desktop usability) is not more than 5%... this includes you and perhaps all those in the gnome, freeBSD lists..   Once they learn to work in a way, it is very hard to them to use a new way even if
that way is more efficient than the other, they will move only if there is a need to move (they move from dos to windows because they need a browser an GUI...) Remember that new 3D interface for unix/linux that have a cube and the user could have 6 desktops running on each side of the cube??? Who uses it??? it is fantastic but no one uses it any more just because they (the people) can do things they want using the old interface... They do not move from windows to Linux because linux is better, if they can do what they need to do on windows.. If you must create a "new" need, people has move  to the new (android, ios for example...) interface because they want to access internet (facebook) on their cell phones (because using a notebook on windows is not practical).. that is why windows had 98% market share 10 years ago, and now have only 28% (internet access by browser).. People want freeedom of choice, that is why androi will prevail over IOS.. Sansung offers NNN ways for you access internet with android, for any budget..
(And these examples are relevant.)  (Where did you learn logic?)  Or is he not watching the download/sales figures?  Not that facts would matter.  He merely asserts his own, minority opinion is if it were established fact, when, clearly, it is not.

Indeed, he appears to me to be the Gnome3 variety of the deservedly much-maligned M$ Evangelists: Chauvinistically proclaiming the (imagined) virtues of the object of their veneration in the futile hope of silencing critics.  But the lion roars against the wind.  He should know when to shut up.
I know that world must evolve, no problem, create a new gnome3, but do not kill gnome2 (or are you afraid of gnome 2.32??) If gnome3 gets so better, fast, easy, to use have more features than gnome2, people will move without complains...

To those who, like me, hope for sanity and/or reality to return to the DE developers, you have my support.  Keep up the fight.  Refuse to 'upgrade' (which might instead be called a downgrade).  Switch to Mate or Cinnamon or LXLE or Xfce, and refuse to go back to Gnome.  I still use Ubuntu 10.04 on most (4) of my machines, and experimenting with Mint on another.  I'm determined to find a way to make Mate work well enough to suite my needs.  Once it does, Gnome will never see me again.
That is why I rebuild gnome2.32 from scratch using an archlinux distribution (642 modules compilled over a 45 days, with the help of the FreeBSD ports)
and gnome2.32 is back running in kernel 3.9 with systemd.. compilled with gcc4.8.  runs very well in a US$300 lenovo g475.. I setted up even a distribution repo to work with... Several (about 120) users uses it... (it is distributed in a new samsung momentus 320Gb HD, installs in 5 minutes).
have 10Gb size..

I used tablets and PDAs from pen-Windows (1996) until I surrendered my Clie in 2005.  It is with considerable authority and experience that I can say that I, for one, will NEVER again touch my screen because I will never again use a device which warrants it.  (I don't even want to have to use the mouse or touchpad any more than absolutely necessary.)  (And if the DE makes it more necessary, I'll be finding one that doesn't.)

And I don't care how powerful any phone becomes; It's form factor necessarily precludes any possibility of it becoming my work tool.  My phone will be very small and simple with a big battery, and my laptop will tether through it.  Otherwise, it will be a phone, and nothing more.  And the laptop's UI will NOT look anything the phone's crippled system, which means that it also will NOT remotely resemble Unity or Gnome3.  EVER.  No matter how much Tauno insists that it will happen.  It won't.
Ditto!!!!

Look, Tauno, all touch UIs suffer from the same malady: They are *compromises* imposed by the form-factor, not the preferred mode.  Where the form-factor does not dictate such a compromise, the need and want for a better, more productive solution will always prevail.  That's why Windows eclipsed DOS to begin with.  Not because it was 'modern' or even 'cool'.  It actually enhanced productivity.  UI/DE developers who fail to recognize, and adapt to this reality will find themselves eclipsed by those who do.  Geez!  Even Microsoft has woken up to their mistake, and is promising to give users back their desktops, and, more importantly, their start-menus ... for free.

Learn the lesson of jQuery and jQuery mobile.  They had the wisdom to provide (and maintain) both, rather than abandon the desktop in favor of a lowest-common-denominator, one-size-fits-all approach necessarily deferring to touch-screen-hobbled devices.

Well said...