Re: Netspeed applet replacement and other stuff?

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 04:32 +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 22:26 +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> >> But again, the
> >> default theme of gnome3 tries to force feed its ideals to the user.
> >> This is clearly bad form.
> > It is the wise route of clearly presenting the new and improved
> > approach.
> Force feeding the new approach without technical necessity to experienced
> users is a great way to drastically decrease user satisfaction. Of about
> 10 independent linux-only users in my acquaintance, only one is happy with
> gnome3 (after significant modification of the default theme). The rest is
> either deliberately not upgrading, or converted their desktop to XFCE,
> LXDE or even KDE.

All of mine, except the Gentoo people [who only enjoy things that are
broken], were impressed by GNOME when I demo'd it at a LUG.  My
coworkers use it.  Seems pretty popular from here.

If someone really wants a 'retro' Window focused Desktop Environment
then they may very well be happier with XFCE.  That doesn't not make
GNOME3 [a task oriented Desktop Environment] "messy", "forced", or
anything other than different.

GNOME3 certainly *increased* by user satisfaction.

> > This is a serious question:
> > What is the actual point and useful information provided by the
> > netspeed applett?
> Although I don't use the applet, I can still imagine some legitimate
> use cases:
> * Your provider boasted some a particularly fast download. You have a
> feeling that he does not quite deliver.
> * There are several wlan nodes accessible. You'd like to choose based
>  on actual performance.

Ok, but netspeed tells you neither of the above bits of information.  If
the end user believes it does... they are simply mistaken.

The first assumes that the local hop is the constraint for your
particular 'download'.  This is frequently not true.

The later can only be determine by connecting to each node in turn and
running a test.  Actually for a meaningful answer you'd have to test
each node multiple times. Ugh.

> * An application does not provide the luxery of an explicit download
>  speed display.

The gnome-system-monitor seems adequate for answering that question.