Re: Netspeed applet replacement and other stuff?

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 22:26 +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> But again, the
>> default theme of gnome3 tries to force feed its ideals to the user.
>> This is clearly bad form.
>
> It is the wise route of clearly presenting the new and improved
> approach.

Force feeding the new approach without technical necessity to experienced
users is a great way to drastically decrease user satisfaction. Of about
10 independent linux-only users in my acquaintance, only one is happy with
gnome3 (after significant modification of the default theme). The rest is
either deliberately not upgrading, or converted their desktop to XFCE,
LXDE or even KDE.

> This is a serious question:
> What is the actual point and useful information provided by the
> netspeed applett?

Although I don't use the applet, I can still imagine some legitimate
use cases:
* Your provider boasted some a particularly fast download. You have a
feeling that he does not quite deliver.
* There are several wlan nodes accessible. You'd like to choose based
 on actual performance.
* An application does not provide the luxery of an explicit download
 speed display.

--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk familieknaak de