Re: Netspeed applet replacement and other stuff?

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 22:26 +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Svante Signell <svante signell telia com> wrote:
> > oh, you must mean the current awesomeness.  GNOME3 has been a real
> > pleasure to use and definativelly improves my productivity.
> Well, some of the new features are really nice. But again, the default
> theme of gnome3 tries to force feed its ideals to the user. This is
> clearly bad form.

It is the wise route of clearly presenting the new and improved
approach.

> >> Is there a
> >>replacement for the netspeed applet available?
> > The is an extension that add GNOME System Monitor graphs to the
> > notification bar.
> The netspeed applet does not show graphs but less intrusive but still
> more infomative numbers. By the way, the scale of the system monitor
> graph receives a rescale about once a minute. That way, you can't really
> judge the quality of the connection at a glance.

This is a serious question:
What is the actual point and useful information provided by the netspeed
applett?  I really do not understand.

I roam between many excellent and numerous crappy networks.  What useful
thing would netspeed tell me that would improve my productivity?  If the
network connection stinks, it stinks, if it is great, it is great.  And
the only time I care is when I'm transferring a large amount of data in
which case the Firefox Downloads tool tells me the actual transfer rate
or Evolution tells me it is still scanning the mailbox.  There is
nothing I can do about the network speed at that moment. And [speaking
as a professional network administrator for 20+ years] the applet DOES
NOT AND CAN NOT tell me the actual speed of "the connection"; it is just
telling you about your throughput on that interface (which is *NOT* a
real measure of network performance);  performance issues could be
application related or you could have bottlenecks, congestion, or
intentional throttling up-stream.

> Which sometimes is less informational than the window title. Imagine several
> instances of a text editor. They look almost the same in thumb view. Some
> gnome3 themes add the window title to the thumb nail.

Ah, good to know.  On my openSUSE install I've always had the thumbnail
and the application window's title displayed below it.  I can see how
absence of the title could be confusing.