Re: Moved to Gnome 3 and can't drag and drop urls anymore

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
Philip Walden wrote:

$ gnome-panel
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.

I have gnome-shell running, but AFIK not another gnome-panel.
Sorry, I forgot the --replace option. The call should read:
   gnome-panel --replace

Next question would be how to execute the command on start-up of
gnome-shell. Unlike gnome2 there is no way to configure this from
the GUI(*). But you can execute on the command line:
   gnome-session-properties
This will give you the GUI known from gnome2.6.

---<)kaiamrtin(>---
(*) I find this kind of well meaning paternalism obnoxious...
Thanks, that worked!

It gets me back to where I was for now.

One other question which perhaps you can answer. In reference to the original problem about dragging links directly from Firefox, when the launcher that is the drop destination is on a gnome-panel the drop does launch the application with the url as the argument.

Any ideas as to why the behavior is different? This is the same behavior as in Gnome 2, but it has always irked me as to why the different launcher behavior when in the panel or the file manager.

--
Linuxfest Northwest - Apr 28, 29, 2012 <http://www.linuxfestnorthwest.org/>
LinuxCounter Registered user #543121 has 5 linux machines <http://linuxcounter.net/user/543121.html>