Printing: Enabling the LPR backend

On the 24th of January I sent a message to the gnome-print-list and
received no response. Looking at the list history it appears that this
list is dead. So, I will forward it to this list in the hope of getting
some response:

Hello,
We (unfortunately) still use lprng for printing. In
/usr/lib64/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/printbackends we have libprintbackend-lpr.so.
In applications using gtk2.0 (e.g. Firefox) the Print menu has an "LPR"
option that allows the user to enter options to the lpr command in to a
text box below the list. In gtk3.0 applications this option is missing.
I have tried changing settings.ini to include gtk-print-backends =
"lpr,file,cups", but this doesn't seem to have done it. gedit, for
example, still does not have the lpr option. I suspect maybe this
setting should go in gconf now, but I can't see where.

How can I properly enable the lpr print backend for gtk 3.0?

--
Jesse B. Crawford (jeanluc)
Systems Programmer

jeanluc nmt edu // http://nmt.edu/~jeanluc