Re: Custom keyboard layout

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Alexander Eckert <alexander eckert gmx de> wrote:
Hi,

I recently updated to Gnome 3.2 (Ubuntu 11.10) coming from Gnome 2.something and
used to create a custom keyboard layout. This time I failed to create a new layout in
/usr/share/X11/xkb, so I modified gb and additionally latin. When I start a new session
my modifications do not become active. I have to run keyboard layout settings and add
arbitrary another layout. If I remove it immediately after that, I'll still have my keys.
When I use two layouts permanently, it works also (thats my current workaround).

How can I use a custom layout without having to layouts active?

You probably hit some distro-related bug, where the distribution tries to enforce a different default layout (such as US English).
Therefore, reboot your system and (without re-activating your layout) run

setxkbmap -print

This will show whether by default the distribution is forcing a different layout.

Simos