Custom keyboard layout

Hi,

I recently updated to Gnome 3.2 (Ubuntu 11.10) coming from Gnome 2.something and used to create a custom keyboard layout. This time I failed to create a new layout in /usr/share/X11/xkb, so I modified gb and additionally latin. When I start a new session my modifications do not become active. I have to run keyboard layout settings and add arbitrary another layout. If I remove it immediately after that, I'll still have my keys. When I use two layouts permanently, it works also (thats my current workaround).

How can I use a custom layout without having to layouts active?

Thanks
Alex