Re: Multiple monitors: stuck in the last century?

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 21:07 +0800, Song Gao wrote:
> Hi,
>

> As far as I know, both Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 can handle multiple
> monitors. In Gnome 3, you could find "Display" in Settings, where you
> will be able to set multiple displays.
>

> Maximize/Minimize buttons can be activated with gnome-tweak-tool. If
> you are using Gnome 3 with Archlinux, it is in the extra repo.
> However, the new title bar with only close button is by design, so why
> not try to understand its philosophy?
>

> Background image scale is also working. Are you using the latest
> packages?
>

> enjoy!
>
> Warm regards,
> Song Gao

I am afraid you misunderstood my original message. The "support" that
you mentioned is a feature of X, not Gnome. Let me give you an example.
I have a 12 monitor desktop in a 4x3 matrix here. X supports it fine,
courtesy of ATI. Do you know what happens when I press the maximize
button to view that 12 MPixel image at native resolution? Yes, it
maximizes to a *single* monitor! An annoyance to no end.

There are other problems stemming from the absence of a proper
multi-monitor desktop in Gnome. Applications only start on screen 1,
menus are clipped to the size of one screen, etc. etc. Panels are only
displayed on screen 1. A shame, really.

--
Vladimir