Re: Desktop search and privacy

On 14.06.2011 23:27, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I type sth. in the search field in the upper right corner
> of the screen, it seems that application from the menu are
> searched, right? However, in certain cases, the web browser
> opens and the search term is looked up in Google.
>
> While I enjoy using Google for searching, this is sth. I want
> to do on purpose and not have it implicitly when using a
> naively supposed local search function. How can I change the
> search function to respect my privacy and not contact any
> other machines on the net?
>
> TIA!
As long as you just type it will only search for local stuff... only if
you hit enter it will open the first action found. if nothing is found
there are two buttons on the bottom (for me two) one with wikipedia the
other with google. The first of them is highlighted. Pressing enter will
activate it. So a simple solution is to just not press enter if nothing
was found. I have no Idea how to disable the function completely but I
guess this would be done  with a gnome-shell-extension.

enaut