How to resize windows?

Hi,

I have problems with grabbing the corner of the window to resize
it. I believe it was easier with GNOME2, right? Some appliations
unfortunately open dialogues very small and one has to resize
them to see more. Pressing Alt+F8 allows resizing, but only
either the height or the width (I never managed to get to the
window corner after pressing Alt+F8, maybe it is possible, but
not for me).

Is there a way to make the window corners a little bit bigger,
so that I can get them with the mouse? Sorry, I'm an idiot in
using the mouse...

TIA!