Re: Introduction

[ re-adding gnome-list gnome org ]

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 09:45:58AM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 16/07/11 19:23, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 03:57:50PM +0200, alexander.wilms wrote:
> >>Instead of making decisions without looking after the actual demands
> >>of the userbase the Gnome team should - at least in my opinion - be
> >Development is done by people who are interested in making something
> >which works for the biggest group of people.
> Oh no they are not making something that works for the biggest
> group, they are making something that works for themselves. If they
> are doing as you say, why are there many different webpages etc
> telling people howto alter the base setup?

Because Linux has a lot of people while like to tinker around. That is
was made possible by the developers. Just not every setting is shown in
the control center and so on.

You'll find the same amount of information for any other interface, be
it OS X, Windows or some phone thing. Nicest example maybe those
jailbreak websites. They are also *very* popular, while people could've
bought another phone and thus OS.

> >>_open_ with the ultimate goal of providing solutions which are 'made
> >>of easy'. What do you think of my idea to let users vote for or
> >>against controversial features?
> >
> >If something is suboptimal, it should be fixed after analysing how to
> >best solve the issue.
> >
> >Voting is a suboptimal solution though.
> So democracy is suboptimal?

That is a different conversation.

My major problem with voting is what I already explained:
| Secondly, voting only gives influence to the ones who know about the
| vote. Instead it should reflect the intended users accurately.

> >For one, everyones ideal solution differs. For example: Based on user
> >feedback, settings in gnome-terminal have been changed back and forth
> >over the release of several GNOME versions.
> >
> >Secondly, voting only gives influence to the ones who know about the
> >vote. Instead it should reflect the intended users accurately.
> >
> >Lastly, sometimes what seems right might not be the best solution. That
> >is why there a designers, etc.
> A good designer creates something that the masses want, not tells
> them what they are getting. I personally think that Gnome 3 has the
> later.

I don't see it that way.

> >Suggest just getting involved with the design team and talk to them.

Still recommend following my advice.
--
Regards,
Olav