How does gnome determine where the home is?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to implement some kind of a local profile. Normally, when someone logs in, his home is mounted (from a cluster) and used. Thats the default behaviour in our enviroment. Now we want to use a second approach: When someone logs in, his profile (which should only consist of settings) will be rsynced to the local drive and used. Therefore I'm doing the sync and set the $HOME variable to the local home and then run something like gnome-session, startkde, startfluxbox etc.

This works great with e.g. KDE, but gnome still uses the network home and I don't know why. What does gnome use to determine what directory to use as the home directory? When using gnome with the local profile most programs (firefox, thunderbird, opera,...) does use $HOME and use the right home directory, but gnome itself seems to ignore $HOME :(

Anyone out there does know what extra switch I have to use to solve that problem?

--
Felix Blanke
Support | Uni Münster | support math uni-muenster de