Re: why use kernel 2.6.34 for test cd

2011/2/15 Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl>:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 07:58:02PM +0100, Diska wrote:
>> Recent kernel  has more support for 3d useful for gnome-shell and gnome3 but
>> gnome test iso use old kernel  2.6.34.
>>
>> i think it's better to user some recent kernel to make gnome-shell work by
>> default in more machine.
>
> I'm guessing OpenSUSE doesn't have a newer version.
>
> Frederic (cc'ed), could you comment?

I refrained from commenting on nautilus ml to not post "off-topic" ;)

the current version of GNOME 3 live image is based on openSUSE 11.3
which is shipping with 2.6.34 kernel.

I don't want to disappoint you but upgrading kernel is not going to
improve 3D performance, since the 3D processing is done in Mesa, not
in kernel.

Anyway, next release of GNOME 3 will have latest stable upstream
kernel (2.6.37) and updated X11 server and driver, thanks to openSUSE
Build Service. It should be available this week (hopefully today or
tomorrow).

--
Frederic Crozat