Applications start at far left of screen

Mandriva 2010.1, Gnome 2.30.2. When starting an app ie..Firefox, GQView,
to name two, the left side of the app window is at the far left side of
the screen. GQView does this when I have the file browser opened however
when it's not GQView starts in approximately the center. The same thing
happens with Gedit or a terminal window, with file browser opened they
start with the far left side of the app window at the far left side of
the monitor cutting off a portion of the app window with file browser
closed they start normally. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to
change? When starting Firefox there is no other app running in the same
workplace.

Thanks
Chris

--