switch keyboard layout

I am using Gnome 2.32 (Ubuntu 10.10).
By using the supplied keyboard configuration utility I successfully set up two language layouts and they work perfectly. Since I also often work on Windows and default shortcut to switch layouts in it is Alt+Shift and after many years I am very used to this, I tried to setup the same shortcut in Gnome. But with a Gnome I have a problem: once I press Alt+Shift - layouts switch immediately and I am unable to do Alt+Shift+<Something> shortcuts.

So my main question is:
Is it possible to teach Gnome's keyboard layout switcher to do the actual switch of layouts only if I press and release the Alt+Shift combination without touching any other keys?

If there is a more suitable news-group for this question, please tell me.