gnome-settings-daemon and Xft X resources

Hello,

I'm rather confused about the way gnome-settings-daemon (2.26.1)
handles Xft settings. I've noticed that it likes to set some Xft X
resources when it starts up. If I have the dpi key in
gconf>desktop>gnome>font_rendering set to anything at all (125 for
me), gnome-settings-daemon will set the X resource "Xft.dpi: 0". If I
unset the dpi key in gconf, g-s-d will set Xft.dpi to (I think)
whatever X is using, which for me turns out to be 124.69.... My
question is, why would g-s-d set "Xft.dpi: 0" as in the previous case?
Does this make any sense? Having this X resource causes my plain
openbox (no metacity, no gnome) to have tiny, unreadable fonts. On the
other hand, if I remove the dpi key in gconf, making g-s-d set Xft.dpi
to 124, then my openbox looks normal, but my gtk apps get clunky big
fonts. What am I to do? Presently it seems I have to make a choice
between normal & readable openbox and clunky & ugly gtk, or unreadable
openbox and normal gtk.

I've tried to override Xft.dpi to 125 when openbox loads, but
presumably due to the order in which g-s-d and openbox are loaded, my
attempts have been ineffective. I guess I'd be happiest if g-s-d would
just leave my X resources alone entirely. Changing them seems contrary
to what I understand to be g-s-d's purpose anyway, i.e. a bridging of
the multiple configuration spaces.